I'm a bit Type A.
Before a trip, everything gets mapped out, planned, input into Google maps, campsites located when possible (Orangetheory Fitness gyms pinned in there as well, in case there's time).
I was supposed to be on a pelagic trip off of Bar Harbor, Maine last Saturday. The staff made the call on Thursday morning - it would not be going due to large swells from Hurricane Larry, who was looming well off the coast. Bummer. I'll need a new plan for Great Skua - perhaps Cape Hatteras in December.
I'm now planning for a trip through South California, up through the San Francisco Bay Area, and then allll the way up to Westport, Washington. I have pelagic trips scheduled in San Diego, Half Moon Bay, Monterey, and Westport.
I thought I was all set, until I found out last week that the boat I'm supposed to get on out of Half Moon Bay is currently missing a propeller, and they're not sure when it'll be fixed. Half Moon Bay has been the hottest spot in central California in recent years, and to miss this trip would be a definite hit.
So now I'm waitlisted for September 25 & 26 out of Westport, WA September 25 out of Oregon, Oct 9 out of Westport, and contemplating finding a way to get on a Ventura, CA trip October 2nd, as all three of the rarer species of boobies (Red-footed, Blue-footed, and Nazca) were seen in that area on the five day Searcher trip last week. My brain hurts when I try to piece together the potential options for me to be removed from the waitlists of said trips, and rearranging my car travels to get myself to the right places at the right time, all spaced out along the entirety of the west coast, so I'm not even trying. I'm just doing what I can to get onto waitlists, and piecing the rest together step by step.
I'm still sitting at 671 species and hoping to add at least 20 of the following 26 birds (along with any other rarities that might pop up) to my year list in the coming three weeks!
South Polar Skua